DIY – Home Treatment after Flooding
After a home or structure has been contaminated from floodwaters there are critical steps that should be taken to prevent problems in your home or structure in the future:
– All interior materials contaminated by flood waters should be torn out, removed and discarded!
• Sheet Rock: (How much is removed will depend on the depth of the water) Cut at least 6-12 inches above the water line. If possible measure moisture levels to help direct how high, you should cut & remove damaged material.
• Insulation: Remove all insulation that is wet or had water contact.
• Any furniture that was impacted by flood water; especially if the water was high enough to saturate padding in couches, mattresses, etc. Those materials cannot be properly decontaminated and/or restored. For your protection, ‘be safe’ and throw them away!
• Necessary flooring: wood, wood laminate, tile, etc. that is buckling or cannot be restored to its original quality.
• Thoroughly clean up all mud, slime, insulation and sheet rock; vacuum all residual particles from building before treatment with SNiPER®
• Thoroughly dry after content removal. Use of dehumidifiers, blowers, fans, etc. Testing levels of moisture content is recommended.
• After the cleaning and drying the home, building or structure to a clean condition, it is ready to put in new insulation, sheet rock, etc…
• NOW is the time to spray SNiPER®!
• Thoroughly spray all open areas, studs, etc. for decontamination (a electric low volume atomizing sprayer is recommended, but a garden pump sprayer can also be used.
• After spraying SNiPER®, allow all treated surfaces to dry.
• Proceed with replacing your insulation, sheet rock etc…